Thursday, July 3, 2014

Get Connected: 50th Anniversary of the Civil Rights Act



 Yesterday marked the 50th anniversary of the Civil Rights Act. So I took the time to really reflect on what a major achievement it is. 50 years ago, African Americans weren't allowed to drink out of the same water fountain, eat at certain dinners, or sit at the front of a bus! But because of so many strong willed individuals who put their life on the line, I am here today..able to drink, eat, and sit where I please. I am truly grateful for the amazing acts of courage from both African Americans and Whites who fought together to end the ignorance of segregation and discrimination.

Although my hertiage history isn't pretty, it is filled with amazing stories of growth and triumph. And I only hope that my generation doesn't run to far away from the understanding of our communities struggle; but learns from it. That way together all Americans are protected and provided the equality we are all entitled to.

Life Liberty and Happiness.

xx.

No comments:

Post a Comment